Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Praise of Worship

Temple Baptist Church - 1-20-2008

Psalm 145

Introduction:

A. We have found that our worship is commanded. Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.


B. We have found that our worship must be prepared.

1. The Preparation of Holiness - Psalms 29:2 Give unto the LORD
the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of
holiness. (Worship is preceded by holiness.)

2. The Preparation Of Personal Worship - Psalms 100:4 Enter into
his gates with thanksgiving, [and] into his courts with praise:
be thankful unto him, [and] bless his name. (Worship is preceded
by thanksgiving.)



C. I want to look tonight the Praise of our worship. In the 148th Psalm,
we find that Praise is Purposed: “I will extol thee, my God, O king;
and I will bless thy name forever. Every day will I bless thee; and I
will praise thy name foe ever and ever!” (PRAISE IS A MATTER OF
WILL, NOT EMOTION! Extol means to exalt or to raise up on high.)



D. We find in this Psalm that God is Praised for His greatness.

1. Praise God For His Personal Relationship To The Believer –
vs. 1 “my God”

2. Praise God For His Permanent Relationship To The Believer –
vs. 1-2 – “for ever and ever”

3. Praise God For His Person – vs. 3 – “Great is the Lord”

4. Praise God For His Power – vs. 4 – “thy mighty acts”

5. Praise God For His Purpose – vs. 6 – “thy wondrous works”

6. Praise God For His Providence – vs. 7


1. Why Praise The Lord

a. Because He Is Righteous - Psalm 7:17 I will praise the LORD
according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the
name of the LORD most high.

b. Because He Is Truthful - Psalm 56:4 In God I will praise his word,
in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do
unto me.

c. Because He Is Compassionate - Psalm 118:21 I will praise thee:
for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.

d. Because He Is Personal - Psalm 118:28 Thou art my God, and I
will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.

e. Because He Is Wise - Psalm 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am
fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and
that my soul knoweth right well.


2. How To Praise The Lord

a. With My Whole Heart - Psalm 9:1 I will praise thee, O LORD, with
my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.

b. With My Substance - Psalm 54:6 I will freely sacrifice unto thee:
I will praise thy name, O LORD; for it is good.

c. With My Mouth – Psalm 109:30 I will greatly praise the LORD with
my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude.

d. With My Life - Psalm 119:7 I will praise thee with uprightness
of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.

e. With My Singing - Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with
a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.


3. Where To Praise The Lord

a. I Will Praise Him In Public - Psalm 35:18 I will give thee thanks
in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.

b. I Will Praise Him In The Church - Psalm 52:9 I will praise thee
for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name;
for it is good before thy saints.

Psalm 111:1 Praise ye the LORD. I will praise the LORD with my
whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the
congregation.

Psalm 118:19 Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into
them, and I will praise the LORD

c. I Will Praise Him Before The Lost - Psalm 57:9 I will praise thee,
O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.

Psalm 138:1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the
gods will I sing praise unto thee.



4. When To Praise The Lord

a. I Will Praise Him Every Day - Psalm 145:2 Every day will I bless
thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.

b. I Will Praise Him For Ever - Psalm 86:12 I will praise thee, O Lord
my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.

No comments: