Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The People of the Cross

Temple Baptist Church - 4-27-2000

Matthew 27:11-54

Intro: The People of The Cross


A. There Were Those That Did Not Want To Be There - vs 11-18, 24 (A Big Inconvenience)

1. Those who are not interested in the gospel and salvation

2. Religion is just an inconvenience (just don’t have the time)

3. Pilate - 27:18, 23-24 (washed his hands)

4. The Darkened Heart (will not allow the light of salvation to shine)

5. The Wayside Hearer - Matthew 13:4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and
understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

B. There Were Those That Hated Christ - vs 19-23 (A Big Insult)

1. These are the RELIGIONISTS.

2. They are the mockers - 39, 40 (men of reprobate mind who are enemies of the cross)

3. They have their religion, but are not interested in Christ (they who are belligerent towards the things of God)

4. The Hard Heart

5. The Stony Ground Hearer - Matthew 13:5-6 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

Matthew 13:20-21 But he that received the seed into stony places, the
same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

6. Matthew 3:7-9 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

C. There Were Those That Rejected - vs 24-25 (A Big Intrusion)

1. Those who hear and choose a life of self and sin

2. They were just curious - vs 36 (just came to see what is going on, but had no real interest in salvation)

3. The Unrepentant Heart

4. Matthew 13:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that
heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of
riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

D. There Were Those Who Were Saved - vs 54, Luke 23:42 (A Blessed Interruption)

1. Came seeking and found eternal life in Jesus Christ

2. Matthew 13:8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that
heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and
bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

1. The Call of The Cross - John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

a. The Person of The Cross - “And I, if I”

b. The Preaching of The Cross - “be lifted up”

c. The Position of The Cross - “from the earth”

d. The Promise of The Cross -”will draw”

e. The People of The Cross - “all men”

2. The Choice of The Cross

a. The Invitation of The Cross Extended - Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

1) The Choice Is Personal - “You” is understood

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any
man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and
will sup with him, and he with me.

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let
him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And
whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

2) The Choice Is Limited - “Come unto me”

John 10:7, 9 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say
unto you, I am the door of the sheep. I am the door: by me if any
man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find
pasture.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none
other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be
saved.

3) The Choice Is Wonderful - “I will give you rest”

Isaiah 61:1-3 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because
the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek;
he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to
the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of
vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto
them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil
of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of
heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the
planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

4) The Choice Is Imperative - “Come” John 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

b. The Conclusion of The Cross Explained - John 3:18-21 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

1) The Condition of The Cross - Believing vs. Unbelieving

2) The Choice of The Cross - Cometh vs. Neither Cometh

3) The Contrast of The Cross - Doeth Truth vs. Loved Darkness

4) The Condemnation of The Cross - Not Condemned vs. Condemned


“Alas and did my Saviour bleed, and did my Sovereign die;
Would he devote that sacred head for such a worm as I?

At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light;
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there, by faith, I received my sight;
And now, I am happy all the day!

Was it for crimes that I have done He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, Grace unknown, and love beyond degree!

At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light;
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there, by faith, I received my sight;
And now, I am happy all the day!”





No comments: