Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Majesty Of His Voice

Temple Baptist Church - 9-14-2008

Song of Solomon 2:8-17

Introduction:


A. Throughout the Song of Solomon, we find the conversing of the Bridegroom (Beloved) with the Bride (Love). In verse 8, we find the phrase “The voice of my beloved!” Notice with me the exclamation mark as the end of the statement. This is not just a voice among many, but a very special voice. The exclamation mark shows the thrill of excitement in the voice of the Bride at the sound of His voice.

B. Over the years, I have had many of God’s men call me and try to disguise their voices in jest. Some have claimed to be IRS accountants, the Vatican in Rome, some a liberal TV preacher, etc. As a norm, I can pick up their voices as soon as they begin to speak. I am good at recognizing voices.

C. Years ago, a blind evangelist came to be with us for a couple of years. He could instantly recognize most of us by our voice. The reason for his perception of voices is this: he cannot see us so, as we rely upon sight, he relies upon voice. When I see you, I recognize you. When he hears you, he recognizes you.

D. Thus it is with the voice of the Lord. We do not see Him but both we and the world can easily recognize His voice. Here, the Bride hears a voice like none other. As I can so easily recognize the voice of my wife, we can recognize the voice of our Beloved!

E. The voice of God or the word of God is heard speaking in many instances and different ways in the Bible. It is a voice like none other. A majestic voice! A powerful voice! An authoritative voice! A gracious voice (as a general rule)! Christ spoke as no other:

Luke 2:46-47 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

Luke 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph’s son?

Mark 4:41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

Mark 10:24a And the disciples were astonished at his words.

Matthew 7:29 For he taught them as [one] having authority, and not as the scribes.

John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, I am [he], they went backward, and fell to the ground.

F. I want to look at the Voice of the Lord for a few minutes tonight:

1. We Find The Voice Of God In Creation - Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (“God said” is found 10x in Genesis 1 alone as He spoke this world into existence. What power and majesty was this Voice of God in creation! A voice so powerful that from nothing it created the universe and all that is in it!)

Psalms 33:6-9 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth. 7 He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth up the depth in storehouses. 8 Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him. 9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

2. We Find The Voice Of God In Nature - Psalms 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. (The Voice of God shouts from the stars overhead to the flowers of the fields! Everything in nature declares the glory of God to the point that “the fool hath said in his heart, There is not God!)

Psalms 97:6 The heavens declare his righteousness, and all the people see his glory.

Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, [there is] none that doeth good.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

3. We Find The Voice Of God in Inspiration - 2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost. (When we read God’s Word, His Voice is heard on every page and in every word! A Book like no other is the Bible for it speaks to its reader the very mind and will of God!)

Romans 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

2 Samuel 23:2 The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word [was] in my tongue.

Luke 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (Inspiration – breath)

4. We Find The Voice of God In Invitation - Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Do you remember that small, still Voice that spoke to you when you came to Christ? God spoke to my heart in an inaudible Voice that night, convincing me of sin, righteousness, and judgment to come! No one else in a congregation of over 1,000 heard Him speak to me that night but I heard Him distinctly and understood His Voice!)

Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I [am] God, and [there is] none else.

John 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Hebrews 3:7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

5. We Find The Voice Of God In Communion - John 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. (My wife’s favorite song is “In The Garden” in which one verse goes like this: “He speaks and the sound of His voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing!” That Voice speaks to us all throughout our day as He seeks to guide, comfort, give peace, and fellowship with the believer! I so often speak audibly back to him and others wonder as I seemingly “talk with myself.”)

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

a. It is a Solitary Voice –It cannot be mistaken!
b. It is a Sweet Voice - There is none like His!
c. It is a Sure Voice – It will never lead you wrong!
d. It is a Sympathetic Voice – He is touched with the feeling of your infirmities!

6. We Find The Voice Of God In Gathering - Revelation 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door [was] opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard [was] as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. (This Voice is one only to be heard by the redeemed of the Lord! A Trmpet as one “talking with me!” “Come up hither” it will say to the Bride of Christ! We will then be home at last and so shall we ever be with the Lord.)

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

7. We Find The Voice Of God In Judgment - Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (How awesome and fearful that Voice in the Day of Judgment! “Depart from me” instead of “Come unto me!” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God!)

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

No comments: