Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nevertheless At Thy Word

Temple Baptist Church - 11-16-2008

Luke 5:1-11

Introduction:


A. What a wonderful miracle took place in these verses. The Gospels are full of the wonderful works of our Lord.

1. These miracles were recorded to give us insight as to who Jesus Christ was and is - John 20:29-31 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed. 30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

2. These miracles were recorded to give us hope - Romans 15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

3. These miracles were recorded for our admonition - 1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come. (Admonition means exhortation. To exhort us on!)

B. Notice that our Lord got into Simon Peter’s ship, prayed him to “thrust out” (Simon Peter was in the boat with Him) and He taught the Word of God to both Simon Peter and the people. When He left off speaking, he gave order for Simon to “launch out into the deep” and let down the nets for a draught. (Draught means a “haul.”)

C. His teaching gave the people knowledge of who He was and the will of God. We do the same here at Temple. We give to our people the Word of God in which we find the revealed will of God for our lives. It was only after the teaching that our Lord commanded Simon to “launch out into the deep.” God grows us through His Word for the tasks that lie ahead.

Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

D. The Word of God is the agent through which we find faith. “So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing be the word of God.” The concept is still the same today as it has always been. God has always spoken to man in order to produce faith. Man then believes God and finds rest and peace.

E. Simon Peter has heard God’s Word and has been ordered by the Son of God to launch out and let down his nets for a draught. Simon Peter explains to the Lord that they have fished all night and caught nothing. He is informing the Lord that it is of no use but “nevertheless at they word.” I will launch out and let down but I do not believe.

F. Simon Peter catches more than all of them can handle in verses 6 and 7. When he saw the miracle, he confessed his sinfulness in verse 8. It is wonderful to observe that the Lord blessed Simon Peter in spite of his unbelief. How many times to we confess that we believe but “help thou my unbelief.”

G. If you watch the lives of the Apostles, there are some changes that you find in their faith.

1. They received Him as the Saviour in the beginning.
2. They marveled at His miracles during His ministry.
3. They forsook Him and fled in the Garden of Gethsamane.
4. They cowered in fear after His resurrection.
5. They boldly preached after Pentecost.
6. They died giants of the faith in their end.

H. Paul said, “For I have learned!” We are growing in our faith as we step our by faith, trust God to undergird us, then watch Him honor His Word.

I. It is not “Nevertheless at thy word” but “at thy word” we will launch out and let down our nets. Can the Word of God be relied upon? I believe that it can! If God says to do it, just do it. He God says that He will do it, just trust Him to do it. If God says that it should not be done, just don’t do it. If God says that it cannot be done, just don’t try it.

1. You Can Trust God’s Word When The Enemy Seems Undefeatable.

Psalms 59:1 Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me.

Isaiah 59:19 So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him.

2. You Can Trust God’s Word When Circumstances Seem Insurmountable.

Psalms 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. 2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. 4 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.

3. You Can Trust God’s Word When Defeat Seems Imminent.

Psalms 142:1-7 I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication. 2 I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble. 3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me. 4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. 5 I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living. 6 Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I. 7 Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

4. You Can Trust God’s Word When All Human Help Is Lost.

Psalms 142:4 I looked on [my] right hand, and beheld, but [there was] no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.

Psalms 22:11 Be not far from me; for trouble [is] near; for [there is] none to help.

Psalms 37:40 And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.

5. You Can Trust God’s Word When All Hope Seems To Be Gone.

Job 19:10 He hath destroyed me on every side, and I am gone: and mine hope hath he removed like a tree.

Psalms 146:5 Happy [is he] that [hath] the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope [is] in the LORD his God: (Our hope is not in circumstances, men, or machines. Our hope is in the Lord!)

Conclusion: We often sing the verse of a song that say, “I’m so glad I learned to trust thee.” Learning to trust is a step by step process. Let me leave you with these verses:

Isaiah 43:1-43a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called [thee] by thy name; thou [art] mine. 2 When thou passest through the waters, I [will be] with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. 3a For I [am] the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt [for] thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.

No comments: