Sunday, December 7, 2008

Our Hills Of Help

Temple Baptist Church - 12-7-2008

Psalms 121

Introduction:

A. What a wonderful Psalm I have read tonight. It is one often used in funerals or times of hardship. I thank God for placing this Jewish Hymn Book in the Bible.

B. Singing is such an important part of worship when the songs sung are both scriptural and spiritual. There are so many times, while singing, that the Lord lifts my spirit and I “wing my flight to worlds unknown.”

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

C. Many of the Psalms were written by troubled saints. These men knew what it was to suffer, be afraid, and need help.

Psalms 42:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and [why] art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him [for] the help of his countenance.

Psalms 55:5 Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.

Psalms 61:2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalms 77:3 I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah.

Psalms 124:4 Then the waters had overwhelmed us, the stream had gone over our soul:

Psalms 142:3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.

Psalms 143:4 Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed within me; my heart within me is desolate.

D. I want to examine this particular Psalm for a few minutes tonight because it has been a great blessing and help to this preacher when I needed the Lord most and the Lord knows that we need Him now.

1. There must be Recognition:

a. Who We Are – Helpless without Christ - John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

b. Who He Is - Isaiah 44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I [am] the LORD that maketh all [things]; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I [am] the LORD; and [there is] none else.

1) Most of us use the Lord as our last resort instead of our first though the Bible says not to put confidence in man.

2) Paul had to be brought to a place of weakness before he could find God’s strength.

c. What He Can Do – Genesis 18:14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

Luke 1:37 For with God nothing shall be impossible. (He is the God of impossibility! Limitless in His ability to do.)

2. There Must Be Resolve

a. A Personal Look – “I” (I thank God for your help and prayers more than you will ever know but it is still God that is our help and confidence)

b. A Willful Look – “will” (We must look to God! The Psalmist said that our help comes from the Maker of heaven and earth.)

c. An Active Look – “lift” (It is one thing to know where to look and how to look but another to take that step of faith. Faith is easy to talk about when you are up on the mountains but when you walk the valleys of this world, faith must become active instead of passive.)

d. A Directional Look – “the hills from whence cometh my help”

3. There Must Be Reliance

a. He Always Hears – vs. 2 - Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

b. He Always Comes – vs. 3,4 - Psalms 38:22 Make haste to help me, O Lord my salvation.

c. He Always Protects – vs. 5,6 - Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

d. He Always Keeps – vs. 3, 7,8 - Psalms 121:3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

No comments: