Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Lord And My God

Temple Baptist Church - 4-19-2009

John 20:24-29

Introduction:


A. After the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, we find in Scripture the accounts of His personal appearances to His disciples.

1. In the first part of this chapter, He appeared unto Mary Magdalene in the Garden before His first ascension. When He spoke her name, she said, “Rabboni!” Master! Our Lord said to her:

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. (He is our Father! He is our God!)

2. In the later part of chapter 20, He appeared to the disciples who were assembled secretly for fear of the Jews. (vs. 19) He said, “Peace be unto you.” (Thank the Lord for His peace that comes through salvation. I’ve got peace this morning! It is well with my soul! It is well with my life! Not everything is as I would have it but the Lord has been good, gracious, and gentle with this preacher!)

3. In our text verses this morning, we find our Lord’s appearance for a third time. Thomas, who was not present when Christ appeared to the disciples earlier is now present. After the earlier appearance, Thomas was told of Christ’s visit and declared, “Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (John 20:25)

B. Thomas will, until Christ comes again, always be labeled “Doubting Thomas!” I wonder how things would have been if Thomas had been with the other disciples when Jesus appeared? In these verses, we find that Thomas did not have to “see” or “put” or “thrust” as he stated but declared, “My Lord and my God!”

C. I want to concentrate on the words of Christ, made after Thomas’ confession, in verse 29. Thomas saw and believed but, we who are now saved, have never seen and yet believe. Our Lord said, “Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.” (I am BLESSED this morning! You are BLESSED this morning! I believe!)

D. Here are just a few things that I have not seen and yet I believe:

1. I Believe That Jesus Christ Was Almighty God Manifested In The Flesh! John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1 John 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) (I believe that Jesus Christ is God! There in none like Him; there was none before Him; there will never be another like Him! He is one of a kind! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

2. I Believe That Jesus Christ Is The Only Begotten Son Of God! Acts 8:36-37 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (I believe! He is the One! I believe that He is the only One! I believe that I am His and He is Mine! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

3. I Believe That Died On The Cross For My Sins! 1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (He is the Propitiation for my redemption! He is the Payment for my sins! He paid for my sins—past, present, and future! I am free from the penalty of sin! I am free from the power of sin! Thank God I will one day be free from the presence of sin! Thank you, Lord, for loving me enough to take my place, to pay my price, and to purchase my pardon! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

4. I Believe That Jesus Christ Was Buried And Bodily Rose Again! 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (I was not there but I have heard; II was not there but I have believed; I was not there but I have accepted! “Were you there when they crucified my Lord?” I was not there but I was on His mind when He was on my cross! “Were you there when He rose from the grave?” No, I was not there but I believe! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

5. I Believe That I Am Eternally Saved Through Christ And Christ Alone! Titus 3:4-5 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (I am nothing! I was nothing when He found me! I was nothing when He saved me! I am nothing outside of Him! I am somebody in Him! I am glad that it is not by works because I could not do enough to be saved or be good enough to stay saved! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

6. I Believe That Jesus Christ Is Coming Again Just Like He Said! John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (Because He lives, I can face tomorrow! I expect Him today! I am looking for Him today! Even so, come, Lord Jesus! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

7. I Believe That Heaven Is A Reality Soon To Be Realized! John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Revelation 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (That sounds like home to me, like where I want to be! There’ll be no tears to dim our eyes again! Heaven! Home! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

8. I Believe That Hell Is A Reality Realized Too Late! Revelation 14:11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
Revelation 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (I believe that Hell is real! I believe that Hell is hot! I believe that Hell is “hell!” I believe that Hell is eternal! I believe that I will not be there! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

9. I Believe That Eternity Is A Long, Long Time! Revelation 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. (Life here is short and death is sure but I will live forever and ever with Him in Heaven! I am immortal because He is immortal! When the day comes that I am not here, I will be THERE! I believe and therefore I am BLESSED!)

No comments: