Sunday, May 17, 2009

We Have Hope In Christ

Temple Baptist Church - 5-17-2009

John 14:1-4

Introduction:


A. I have enjoyed spending a little extra time this year preaching on Calvary, the resurrection, and some things related to them. I want to share with you this morning the ultimate reason for the gospel.

B. Verse 19 says, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” If this is all that there is, then we have wasted our lives serving a dead Christ.

1. First of all, I want to say that living a Christian life is worth it in any case and our lives are not wasted! I had rather be an old time Christian than anything I know.

2. Secondly, there is hope after death and what a wonderful prospect it is. Those who deny Christ have not salvation and, therefore, no hope. The Bible says that we are not to sorrow “as those who have no hope.”

2 Peter 3:3-4 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

C. Our Lord said, “I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” Our cry this morning should be the echo of John the Beloved’s on the Isle of Patmos: “Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.”

D. The hour is near! We are six “days” past the creation and the seventh “day” of the Millennium is almost upon us.

1. It is eminent (Brand New Feeling In The Air) - 1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.

2. It is encouraging (Hard times almost over forever) - 1 Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

3. It is exciting (Just think of stepping on shore and finding it Heaven; of touching a hand and finding it God; of breathing new air and finding it celestial; of waking up in Glory and finding it home!) - Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

E. Many deny the Rapture but it is found in type throughout the Bible:

1. Manifested In Enoch - Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him.

2. Manifested In Lot - Genesis 19:22 Haste thee, escape thither; for I cannot do any thing till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar.

3. Manifested In Elijah - 2 Kings2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

4. Manifested In Paul - 2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

5. Manifested In John - Revelation 4:1 After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.

F. Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again for our justification. He is coming to take us home! WE HAVE HOPE!

WHERE OUR HOPE IS NOT FOUND

1. Our Hope Is Not In This World - 1 Corinthians 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

2. Our Hope Is Not In America - Isaiah 30:2-3 That walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt! 3 Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt your confusion.

3. Our Hope Is Not In Our Pocket - 1 Timothy 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

4. Our Hope Is Not In Religion - Acts 26:5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

5. Our Hope Is Not In Self - Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

6. Our Hope Is In Christ - Colossians 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

THINGS EXPECTANCE SHOULD PRODUCE

1. Expectancy Should Produce Watchfulness - Mark 13:34, 37 For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. 37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.

2. Expectancy Should Produce Comfort – 1 Thessalonians 4:17-18 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

3. Expectancy Should Produce Abiding – 1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

4. Expectancy Should Produce Patience - James 5:7-8 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

5. Expectancy Should Produce Service – 2 Timothy 4:1-2 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

6. Expectancy Should Produce Purity – 1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

IN THESE FOUR VERSES WE FIND ALL THAT WE NEED IN LIGHT OF HIS COMING!

1. We Find The Promise Of A Peace – “let not your heart be troubled” Notice with me that the word “heart” is singular. This is not a promise to the church corporately, but to the saint individually.

Psalms 29:11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.

Isaiah 26:3-4 Thou wilt keep [him] in perfect peace, [whose] mind [is] stayed [on thee]: because he trusteth in thee. 4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH [is] everlasting strength:

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace [be] unto you: as [my] Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

a. A Peace That Comes From Knowing The Lord
b. A Peace That Comes From Trusting The Lord
c. A Peace That Comes From Expecting The Lord

2. We Find The Promise Of A Place – “In my Father’s house are many mansions”

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Isaiah 64:4 For since the beginning of the world [men] have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, [what] he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.

Revelation 22:1-5 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. 3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: 4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. 5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

a. Heaven Is A Prepared Place!
b. Heaven Is A Perfect Place!
c. Heaven Is A Permanent Place!

3. We Find The Promise Of A Preparation – “I go and prepare a place for you” He placed the eternal blood on the eternal mercy seat for our eternal redemption!

a. Salvation Has A Wonderful Saviour – vs. 13 (What a wonderful Saviour He is to me!)

b. Salvation Provides A Wonderful Grace – vs. 11 (Grace: probably the most misunderstood of all doctrines! I wonder what it is about grace that confuses people. Grace is simply unmerited favor! It cannot be bought or wrought. What a wonderful thought! He loves me as I am! He loves even me!)

c. Salvation Effects A Wonderful Conversion – vs. 14 (What a wonderful change in my life has been wrought!)

d. Salvation Produces A Wonderful People – vs. 14 (The most wonderful people in all of the world!)

e. Salvation Guarantees A Wonderful Prospect – vs. 13 (I will live forever in Heaven with Him!)

No comments: