Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Worship

Temple Baptist Church - 11-25-2009

Psalms 100

Introduction:

A. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and I am looking forward to it! The turkey will go into the oven early in the morning and the smell will permeate the house.

B. There will be a small fire in the fireplace and the house will be cozy and warm!

C. There will be the smell of dressing and gravy, mashed potatoes, pecan and apple pie in the air to mix with the smell of turkey being browned.

D. There will be family around with talk and laughter throughout the house. It will be a lazy, wonderful day to be alive and live in this great country of ours.

E. Here we are tonight, on a Wednesday, in the house of the Lord with God’s people gathered together one more time this side of eternity. The greatest, most love, wonderful people on the planet gathered together for both worship and fellowship. There is unity, love, and peace here and I love it!

F. I want to take a short look at one of the most preached on Psalms of the season for a few minutes tonight and let us just worship for a few minutes. The Lord is certainly worthy of our praise and He has been good to all of us.

G. All of us have much to be thankful for tonight.


1. The Exhortation Of Worship – vs. 1 “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord” Worship is up to us! Many people blame lack of worship on a lack or loss of the Spirit because they operate solely upon their feelings. We are to worship the Lord in spite of our feelings and circumstances! Let us worship the Lord tonight!

2. The Elements Of Worship – vs. 1-4

a. The Element Of Noise – “noise” To shout, raise a sound, cry out, give a blast, to shout a war-cry or alarm of battle, to sound a signal for war or march, to shout in triumph (over enemies), to shout in applause, to shout (with religious impulse), to cry out in distress, to utter a shout, to shout for joy. Most people equate worship and holiness with quietness. There is a time to be quiet but the Bible is full of outward, loud expressions of joy and praise.

b. The Element Of Gladness – vs. 2 “serve the Lord with gladness” Joy, mirth, gladness, mirth, gladness, joy, gaiety, pleasure, joy (of God) glad result, happy issue. “I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go unto the house of the Lord!” Let us be glad tomorrow. No, everything does not go right for us all of the time but there is much to be glad for! I am saved, protected, full, free, healthy, loved, and hopeful!

c. The Element Of Singing – vs. 2 “come before his presence with singing” I dreamed the other night that we were in church and as I looked around, no one was singing. I was singing the hymns along. I actually dreamed this! I stopped singing and admonished our people to raise their voices together. We once sang with so much feeling that your glasses would almost fog up! It is hard to sing the songs of Zion when we live in a strange land. I fear that many of our people live in this strange land!

d. The Element Of Acknowledgment – vs. 3 “Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture” He is God! He can do anything! He will do right! We can trust Him! We are His people! He made us! We are His sheep and feed in His pastures! He leads us and makes us to lie down in green pastures; He leads us beside the still waters; He restoreth our soul; He walks through the shadow of the valley of death before us and with us; He comforts us; He protects us; He prepares a table before us in the presence of our enemies; His goodness and mercy shall follow us all the days of our lives; we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever! Glory to God!

e. The Element Of Entrance – vs. 4 “enter into his gates” We are here tonight, not because we have to be here but because we want to be here. No one will be in Heaven who does not desire to be there. No one should be here tonight who does not desire to be here! I love it! I came to worship tonight! I came to have a good time tonight! I am glad I am here and would be no place else!

f. The Element Of Thanksgiving – vs. 4 “enter into his gates WITH thanksgiving” Thankfulness is something that you have before you get here. It is something that you bring with you when you come. It is something that we share with each other as we thank God for all His benefits! Thank you Lord for your blessings on me!

g. The Element Of Praise – vs. 4 “and into his courts with praise” Praise, like thanksgiving, is something that you bring with you also. Praise is not to be “worked up” but is to be brought in. We should have come through the doors of the church praising God! Most modern praise is carnal or fleshly. The music pumps the flesh or the preacher pumps the flesh. Praise is planned!!! Did you hear what I just said? Praise is planned!! We should have come to God’s house to praise the Lord, not have to be excited by some fleshly means.

h. The Element Of Adoration – vs. 4 “bless his name” Worship is dead because adoration is missing! I have failed God but He has never failed me! I have been unfaithful to God but He has never been unfaithful to me! The Lord gave His all for me and I have done so little for Him! The love of Christ should constrain us tonight. The gentleness, longsuffering, and kindness of God should humble us tonight! Let us bow down before Him and bless His holy name!

3. The Establishment Of Worship – vs. 5

a. The Lord Is Good! “for the Lord is good” He does not attempt to be good for He is goodness personified! Goodness in inherent with God. Goodness is an attribute of God!

b. The Lord Is Merciful! “his mercy is everlasting” His mercy is new every morning and His compassions—they fail not! He will always be better to us than we deserve and only eternity will show the goodness and mercifulness of God!

c. The Lord Is Truthful! “and his truth endureth” What God says, He will do! I believe that though, at times, my heart fails me. What He says, He can and will accomplish. His thoughts are not my thoughts; His ways are not my ways; His time is not my time; but His thoughts are always towards me and He will do what He has promised!

d. The Lord Is Faithful! “to all generations” God has been faithful to me! He will be faithful to my children! He will be faithful to my grandchildren!

Conclusion: I pray that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! Remember to bless that turkey and think upon Him as you enjoy the freedom and liberty of the day!

No comments: