Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Praise Of Christmas

Temple Baptist Church - 12-20-2009

Luke 2:1-14

Introduction:

A. Tonight, I want to go back to the story of the birth of the Saviour for a few minutes and concentrate on the last couple of verses, 10-14. We often forget what we celebrate this time of the year as the tinsel outshines the true meaning. Jesus Christ, Jehovah God of the Old Testament, became man that we might one day live with Him forever in Heaven.

B. Here, we find the angels of God praising their creator. They are not praising God for His goodness to them but for His goodness to the children of men. I fear that too often, we are taught to only praise God for what He has personally done for us. We should praise Him for that but if that is the only reason we praise Him, then our motive is simply selfish!

C. I know that it is joke around here when I say that I will be short tonight so let me just say that it is good sometimes for us to reevaluate our praise or lack of it. It is easy to praise the Lord in our good times but I believe that our praise is a more pure form of worship during our hard times.

D. I thank God for all of His “benefits.” I praise God for the simply things of life that allow us to enjoy living. Our health, wealth, comforts, freedoms, and etc. I thank God for who He is and what He does behind the scenes.


Psalms 18:6-18 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears. 7 Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth. 8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it. 9 He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet. 10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind. 11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies. 12 At the brightness that was before him his thick clouds passed, hail stones and coals of fire. 13 The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail stones and coals of fire. 14 Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them. 15 Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils. 16 He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters. 17 He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. 18 They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.

1. I Praise God Tonight Because Of His Sovereignty! Providence! Nothing touches me that He has not allowed for His glory and He turns it for my good. He does control! There are times in my life when I doubt God because I am human. But He does control our circumstances. He will not leave us nor will He forsake us. He will not give us over to our enemies; He will not let the wicked triumph over the right. He controls everything all of the time and nothing moves without His permission.

2. I Praise God Tonight Because Of His Being! He is a gracious, longsuffering, gently, good, and merciful God who loves us without being loved in return. Yes, He is holy and righteous but His love covers a multitude of sins and He is better to us than we are to Him.

3. I Praise God Tonight Because Of His Power! He as all power in Heaven and in Earth. Nothing is too big for Him to handle. Nothing or no one is powerful enough to make Him worry. He can do anything at all times. Satan, difficulties, and our enemies are subject to Him. I can do all things through Christ!

4. I Praise God Tonight Because Of His Sacrifice! I am Heaven bound tonight because of Calvary’s love. Greater love hath no man than this! He laid down His life for me that I might live eternally and have life abundant.

5. I Praise God Tonight Because Of His Faithfulness! I am glad that God is not faithful only when I am faithful. I would be in a mess for sure. He is faithful to His Word and His works all of the time. He cannot deny Himself! He will not deny Himself! He will do what He promises! It may not be in my time but it will be the right time and, when it gets done, it will be done right. He will bring my family out of the darkness of the past 3 years. He will bring our enemies to their knees because of their wickedness.

6. I Praise God Tonight Because I Am Over 60 And Closer To Home Than Ever! You young people rejoice in your youth because your strength is amazing and your troubles are few. The years will draw nigh when you will have no pleasure in them. I don’t want to start over again. I do not want to walk this life’s path again. I look forward to going hime one day just like today. Even so come, Lord Jesus!

7. I Praise God Tonight Because I Am Here With You! Everything in my life may not go to suit me but God put me here with you and I love you. What a wonderful church family we have. I just want to praise the Lord with you tonight and in the days to come, serve the Lord with you. I want to go home from this pulpit. Things will get better here at Temple. They are great now but, when we come out of this valley, God will add and multiply here because you are a great people and this is a great church.

Conclusion: Let us celebrate Christmas and a New Year with a glory that comes only through knowing Christ. I look forward to 2010! God will make it a better year than the past 2 have been and I am excited about it.

Psalm 7:17 “I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.”

Psalm 9:1 “I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.”

Psalm 35:18 “I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people.”

Psalm 52:9 “I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints.”

Psalm 54:6 “I will freely sacrifice unto thee: I will praise thy name, O LORD; for it is good.”

Psalm 56:4 “In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.”

Psalm 57:9 “I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations.”

Psalm 69:30 “I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.”

Psalm 86:12 “I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.”

Psalm 108:3 “I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.”

Psalm 109:30 “I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude.”

Psalm 111:1 “Praise ye the LORD. I will praise the LORD with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.”

Psalm 118:19 “Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD”

Psalm 118:21 “I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation.”

Psalm 118:28 “Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee.”

Psalm 119:7 “I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.”

Psalm 138:1 “I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.”

Psalm 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”

Psalm 145:2Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.”

No comments: