Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What Jesus Means To Me

Temple Baptist Church - 12-23-2009

Isaiah 9:6

Introduction:

A. Friday, we will celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ. What a wonderful event in that God became man! Not just any man nor just another man, but the “God-man!”

B. Most of the world lies in darkness tonight as to the meaning of the birth of Christ. Our Lord asked of the disciples:

Luke 9:18-20 And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? (19) They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. (20) He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God.

C. If you know the correct answer to the question: “Whom say ye that I am?,” then you are more blessed than you know. The vast majority of mankind knows nothing of Christ, has a wrong perspective of Christ, or has rejected the truth of Christ. If you believe that Jesus is the Christ and have accepted Him as your personal Saviour, you are blessed beyond measure!

D. I am glad tonight that I both know who Jesus is and know Him as my Lord and Saviour! I am blessed tonight! I am blessed tonight beyond measure.

E. Now that we have established just who Jesus Christ is; why Jesus Christ came; and that He is our Lord and Saviour; my question is this: what does Jesus Christ mean to you and me? My fear tonight is this: that we that are saved forget just what it means to be called the “sons of God.”

1 John 3:1-2 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. (2) Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

F. There are many titles given to Jesus Christ but, when referring to the coming of the virgin born Son of God, the Holy Spirit gave some tremendous insight concerning His person in Isaiah 9:6. I want to look at just one of them for a few minutes. His names here are Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, and the Prince of Peace. He is certainly all of these.

G. The verse says, “His name SHALL be called!” Not is called but “shall be called” and the first name is Wonderful. He is the person of our praise. Wonderful means to excite wonder or admiration; exciting surprise; strange; or astonishing.
1. He Is Wonderful In His Person

2. He Is Wonderful In His Passion

3. He Is Wonderful In His Pardon

4. He Is Wonderful In His Protection

5. He Is Wonderful In His Provision

6. He Is Wonderful In His Promises

H. He is Wonderful to me because:

1. The Lord Saved My Unrighteous Soul

2. The Lord Saved My Life From Destruction

3. The Lord Filled My Marriage With Love

4. The Lord Gave Me Two Wonderful Sons And Seven Grandchildren

5. The Lord Called Me Into His Service

6. The Lord Has Given Me A Great Church Filled With Wonderful People

7. The Lord Has Provided Me With A Wonderful Home To Live In

8. The Lord Has Met Every Need In My Life

9. The Lord Has Never Let Me Down

10. The Lord Has Comforted, Strengthened, Guided, Provided For Me

11. The Lord Has Always Kept His Word

12. The Lord Has Given Me Assurance Of My Salvation

13. The Lord Has Given Me A Glimpse Of My Eternal Home

Conclusion: Now, I know why His name shall be called Wonderful! I did not know that years ago because He was the one that I had read about and heard about. Now, after 33 years, He is the one that I know!

No comments: