Sunday, November 7, 2010

How To Take Care Of A Pastor

Temple Baptist Church - 11-7-2010

Philippians 4:10-19

Introduction:

A. Tonight will be one of the harder messages for God’s man to preach but it is an essential one. Not that it is a message that will be hard on you but that it will be one hard for me to preach. “How to take care of a Pastor.” I am not here to be a burden to the church. I am here to be a blessing!

B. The pastor is one of the two gifts given to the local church. The other is the evangelist which I believe means the missionary. The work “evangelist” means to “bring good news or to declare glad tidings.” We have men who are called evangelists who are actually missionaries to the local churches. These are men who come to preach to and help local pastors and churches through the ministry of preaching. The pastor is to do the work of an evangelist

C. The pastor belongs to the people of the local church and is to be taken care of by them. I have nothing but respect of men of God who pastor and work jobs when the church is not big enough to support them fully. I have worked and am willing to go back to work if the case arises. When the local church is able to support a full time pastor, I believe there is a twofold responsibility:

1. It is their responsibility to take care of the pastor’s family.

2. It is the responsibility of the pastor to give his life for the church.

D. There are several things that the pastor needs from his people. I will give a few of them tonight.

1. Learn to love the man of God and his family. Galatians 4:14-16 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. (15) Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me. (16) Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? (God gives you pastors after His own heart. These men of God become a part of your family and your life. One of the greatest things you can do is to love the man of God, his wife, and his children. What a shame it is when people fall out with their pastor. He is your friend! His family is not perfect but neither is yours. Just love him!)

Psalms 55:12-14 For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: (13) But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. (14) We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.

Psalms 41:9 Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, which did eat of my bread, hath lifted up his heel against me. (What a shame when people who once walked with their pastor now have turned against him.)

2. Learn to pray for the man of God and his family. Romans 15:30-32 Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me; (As God’s man faithfully prays for your family, pray for his. Paul said to “strive” in prayer for God’s man. That means to pray hard! Smite the shepherd and the sheep will scatter. Satan hates God’s men and will attack them and their families in any way he can. Learn to lift my family up in prayer! As goes the pastor, so goes the church as a general rule.)

1 Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us!

Ephesians 6:18-20 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; (19) And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, (20) For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Philippians 1:19-20 For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, (20) According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

Colossians 4:3-4 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: (4) That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

2 Thessalonians 3:1-2 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: (2) And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.

Philemon 1:22 But withal prepare me also a lodging: for I trust that through your prayers I shall be given unto you.

Hebrews 13:18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

3. Learn to meet the needs of the man of God and his family. 1 Corinthians 9:7-14 Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? (8) Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? (9) For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? (10) Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. (11) If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? (12) If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. (13) Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? (14) Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel. (The pastor’s family depends upon the local church for their living. The pastor is full time and draws no other income. The pastor does not get the opportunity to work overtime and bring in a little extra in hard times. He depends upon you! There are two kinds of churches: those who look at the "books" and say, “We can't afford to…" and those who look at the BOOK and say, “We can't afford not to…!" Watch for special needs or hardships. Consider the economy with rising or falling prices. Remember when and how often there is a raise in salary. I am not preaching for money tonight! I am preaching for your benefit tonight! I have found out that God will take care of His man through outside sources when God’s people fail to be responsible. God will bless the church that blesses the pastor’s family.)

4. Learn to protect God’s man and his family. 1 Timothy 5:19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses. (Refuse to start gossip; refuse to hear gossip; and refuse to spread gossip! Stand up for God’s man! If someone is trying to hurt him or his family, rebuke them and have no fellowship with them. I will not allow anyone to talk about you and your family. You are mine and I love you. Learn to shut up talk and learn to stand up and fight when the time comes. I have seen good churches ruined by a few people while the majority remained uninvolved. There is a time to fight; there is a time for war.)

5. Learn to stay with God’s man! 2 Timothy 4:9-11 Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: (10) For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia. (11) Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry. (Stay with God’s man. He will stay with you! Through thick and thin; in good times and bad times; learn to encourage him. Most preachers leave their churches because of discouragement. Not because of money. A good definition of a friend is this: Someone who walks in when the whole world walks out.)
Conclusion: You may have many preachers but not many pastors. Take care of them and God will take care of you!

No comments: