Sunday, April 22, 2012

David: A Man Of Great Forgiveness


2 Samuel 12:13-23

(Temple 4-22-12)


Introduction:

A. In the past couple of weeks, we had a vivid look at possibly the darkest periods of Israel’s history as the greatest king their nation ever had sinned a great sin. We also saw that with that great sin came great consequences and with confession came great forgiveness.

B. God forgave King David and greatly used him for the rest of his life. There are some tremendous lessons to be learned from David’s fall and restoration: though God does not condone or excuse our sinfulness, He will forgive us and allow us to rise again from the dust of failure to be greatly used of God once more.

C. This morning, I want to look at David’s forgiveness: the basis, the requirements, and the fullness of it. I personally believe that Psalm 51 is a record of David’s penitent prayer made somewhere between verse 6 where he said, “I have sinned against the Lord” and “David arose … and worshipped” in verse 20. This is for two reasons: 1) David sought for his child’s life and 2) after the child’s death, went into the house of the Lord and worshipped His God. Both of these acts require holiness.


Psalm 51:1-17


1. The Basis of God’s Forgiveness. (Love, mercy, propitiation)

a. Verse 1 - “According to thy lovingkindness” - Jeremiah 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. (God’s forgiveness is founded in His great love for His children.)

b. Verse 1 - “According unto the multitude of thy tender mercies” - Lamentations 3:22-23 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. (23) They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. (God’s forgiveness is founded upon His great mercy toward His children.)

c. Verse 1 - “Blot out my transgressions” - Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. (God’s forgiveness is founded is His precious blood shed for His children.)

Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:


2. The Requirements of God’s Forgiveness.

a. Verse 4 - “I have sinned against the LORD.” – Realization - Psalms 51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. (Technically, David had also sinned against Uriah, Bathsheba [though she was not without guilt, David’s was the greater sin], and against all Israel but his sin against God caused all of the rest to fade into the distance. In this verse, we see that God will accept our tears but not our excuses! David did not blame the woman as Adam did nor did he blame his failure on society, heredity, or environment. David took full responsibility for his actions.)

b. Verse 3 - “For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.” – Confession – 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalms 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. (Confession and forgiveness are both Old and New Testament doctrines. The Apostle Paul quoted the last part of verse 4, “that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest” in Romans 3:4. Confession is both acknowledgement to God and agreement with God on sin. )

c. Verse 17 - “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit.” – Humility - 1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: (The great “King” became just a man before both God and Israel. No pride, no special privileges, and no excuses! “I have sinned!” He lay unashamed upon his face before his God.)

d. Verse 17 - “A broken and a contrite heart.” – Godly Sorrow - 2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. (David’s sin had broken his heart. Godly sorrow works repentance and repentance a change of heart and actions.)

3. The Fullness of God’s Forgiveness. (In verses 16, we find that David realized that there was no sacrifice for the sin of adultery. The penalty for this particular sin was to be stoned! David understood this and he bypassed the Levitical sacrifices by throwing himself completely upon the mercy of God. In our text we find David’s desire in these words: purge me, make me to hear joy, hide thy face from my sins, create in me a clean heart, renew a right spirit within me, cast me not away, take not thy holy spirit, restore unto me the joy, uphold me, deliver me from bloodguiltiness, open my lips and my mouth. )

a. “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.” - Complete Remission - Psalms 51:9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

b. “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation.” - Complete Restoration - Psalms 51:8-12 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. (9) Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. (10) Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (11) Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. (12) Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

c. “Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.” - Certified Reusable! - Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. (I am still glad that the Potter does not throw the “clay” away! If you sin, get right—get up—get going!)

No comments: