Temple Baptist Church - 8-29-2012
A. In verse 15, Paul spoke of the mature Christian being “thus minded.” In the verses preceding verse 15, he set forth some things that need to be sought after:
1. To Win Christ
2. To Be Found In Christ
3. To Know Christ
4. To Fellowship With Christ
5. To Suffer For Christ
6. To Be Resurrected With Christ
B. In Verse 16, we find the unity of desire in God’s children that are mature:
1. Walk By The Same Rule – a principle or regulation governing conduct or action. Laying aside our differences of opinion, likes and dislikes, we walk in agreement in the local church. Too many people are divided by things that do not matter. We are all different but on the things that Paul listed above, we are to be “thus minded.”
2. Mind The Same Things – In verse 17, Paul said, “Be followers together of me.”
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
C. I want to encourage and exhort every one of us to be the very best that we can be for Christ. In today’s “Christianity,” we have very few godly examples to pattern ourselves after. One of the greatest Christians of all time was the former Saul of Tarsus or the Apostle Paul as we know him.
1. He was great in his conversion – From Saul to Paul
2. He was great in his desire – He preached Christ at the risk of his life.
3. He was great in his fervency – He was bold and Spirit filled.
4. He was great in his walk with God – He said “For to me to live is Christ.”
5. He was great in his finishing – He fought a good fight, finished his course, and kept the faith.
D. Paul was great in his example – Here, we come to Philippians 3:17.
1. The mature child of God is marked by a walk of obedience. We are to mark those who walk in obedience and walk with them.
2. The disobedient are also marked by their walk of disobedience. 3:18-19
E. The disobedient walk of the lost exposed in verses 18-19:
1. They are the enemies of the cross of Christ – vs. 18
2. Their god is their belly – vs. 19
3. Their glory is their shame – vs. 19
4. They mind earthly things – vs. 19
5. Their end is destruction – vs. 19
F. He told the Philippians believers to “be followers together of me.” Not just to follow Paul’s walk personally but corporately. The strength of the local church is the unity of the believers. “United we stand; divided we fall.” Let us look at what should be the rule or measure of our Corporate Walk.
1. The Rule of Faithfulness – When faithfulness is almost a think of the past.
2. The Rule of Fellowship – Fervent love that shows forth discipleship.
3. The Rule of Labor – In the same yoke doing the same work in unison.
4. The Rule of Worship –Rejoicing in both the good and the bad times.
5. The Rule of Actions – Let your light so shine among men!
6. The Rule of Faith – Remaining in the Old Paths wherein is the good way, finding rest for our souls in these last days.
7. The Rule of Prayers - For each other, family, friends, missionaries, souls.
8. The Rule of Holiness – If you think right, you do right!
9. The Rule of Obedience – Follow God’s man as he follows Christ.