Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Can Do All Things Through Christ!


Temple Baptist Church - 11-7-2012

Philippians 4:13

Introduction:

A. In the life of Paul, we see a pattern of change concerning his circumstances. He abounds and he is abased, he has been full and hungry; he has abounded and suffered need; he has been jailed and he has been free. Life is a roller coaster. As one man said, “Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people but neither of them stays that way.”

B. In this verse, we find Paul’s Confidence. “I can do all things” This confidence is not self-confidence but rather a profound confidence in the Lord.

Philippians 3:4-10 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: (5) Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; (6) Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. (7) But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. (8) Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, (9) And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: (10) That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

C. In this verse, we find Paul’s Companion. “through Christ” From the Damascus Road until the day of his death, the Lord was a faithful Companion.

Acts 18:9-10 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace: (10) For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.

Acts 23:11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.

D. In this verse, we find Paul’s Commitment. “which strengtheneth me” As one man said, “Life is a marathon!” It requires a long term commitment.

Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

1. Responsibility – “I” 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.

I know that God is God but there remains a human element in our personal performance. God can and will help us but He also expects you and I to do what we can. Too many of God’s children sit idly around expecting the Lord to do everything for them.

2. Resolve – “can do all things” 1 Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

I have often heard it said, “Can’t never did anything.” Confidence is the key to keeping on keeping on when the going gets tough. It is a mentality that, no matter what comes my way, I will continue to do what is right. “All” is a big three letter word. It means continuance in the face of seemingly impossibility.

3. Realization – “through Christ” Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

The key to our confidence in the face of insurmountable adversity is our Helper. It is in Christ that we live, move, and have our being. Without Him we are nothing and with Him we are more than conquerors.

4. Reliance – “which strengtheneth me” 2 Timothy 4:16-18 At my first answer no man stood with me, but all men forsook me: I pray God that it may not be laid to their charge. (17) Notwithstanding the Lord stood with me, and strengthened me; that by me the preaching might be fully known, and that all the Gentiles might hear: and I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. (18) And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Someone once said, “When you come to the place where Christ is all that you have, it is then that you realize that He is all that you need.” At the end of our strength, we find His. Paul said that when he was weak, He is strong.

5. Rest – “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” Hebrews 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

From our personal Damascus Road experience, our wonderful Lord has promised to be there with us and for us. He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. He is full well to meet our every need in every moment of our lives.



No comments: