Sunday, February 17, 2013

Enoch

Temple Baptist Church - 2-17-2013
 
Hebrews 11:5; Genesis 5:21-22
 
Introduction:
A. As we begin this morning, I want to look at the order of chapter 11, or the “Hall of Faith.”
1. We saw the definition of faith. It has both substance and evidence. “You ask me how I know He lives, He lives within my heart.” The world may think I am foolish, but I know something they do not know.
2. We saw faith exercised in salvation through Abel’s sacrifice. It’s still the blood and nothing in this world can change that! By the way, it is Colossians 1:14, not Ephesians 1:7, that the new perverted bibles leave out “through his blood.”
3. This morning, I want to look at the “Hall’s” next example of faith. As Abel came to God in salvation by faith, Enoch put salvation into practice by walking with God by faith. Enoch’s walk with God was not a casual stroll as some might presume.
Jude 14 says, “And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints.” It was a spiritually productive walk with God.
B. Nothing is said concerning Enoch’s first 65 years of life.
1. I rest assured that he was brought up to know the Lord and placed his personal faith in the coming of the Promised Seed. These years were his years of development where he made his choices concerning life and what it was all about.
2. Life is so much more than just growing up, getting a job, getting married, raising a family, and retirement. Life is about whom you are, not just what you do. This life is the prelude for eternity!
C. Little is said about Enoch and, yet, volumes have been written about him. We “read between the lines” of Scripture concerning Enoch based upon our personal walk with Christ.
1. Three Things About Enoch’s Walk
a. It had a Commencement. I do not believe that it began at age 65 with the birth of Methuselah. The Bible simply states that, after the birth of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years. This does not mean that he did not walk with God the first 65! I thank the Lord that I was saved when my two sons were small. I began my walk with God in front of my family and friends. I have tried to be consistent over these years. I was not and am not perfect, but I want my life to reflect the change that only the Lord can make. When and where Enoch made the personal choice to walk with God is not stated but, somewhere, he made a choice to be all that God would have him to be.
b. It had a Consistency. Three hundred years in days of evil that led up to the destruction of the flood. Days when men who were called the “sons of God” allowed their fleshly imagination fulfill the desires of their sinful flesh. Days like ours where the Bible says, “as in the days of Noe.” Enoch never looked back!
c. It had an End. After 365 years of life with the majority walking with God, God took Enoch home: a beautiful type of the Rapture where those who are “alive (quickened) and remain (not dead)” will be “caught up” and eternally with the Lord. This should be the desire of every child of God and is our blessed hope.
2. What Characterizes A Walk With God?
a. It is by faith that a convicted, repentant sinner comes to Christ in salvation. Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
b. It is by faith that we live for God. Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
c. It is by faith that we stand for God. Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
d. It is by faith that we walk before God. 2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
e. It is by faith that we resist the devil. 1 Peter 5:8-9 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: (9) Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
f. It is by faith that we commune with God. Ephesians 3:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
g. It is by faith that we overcome the world. 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
h. It is by faith that we please God. Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Luke 18:8b Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

No comments: