Temple Baptist Church - 12-29-2013
A. Psalm 92 contrasts the wicked with the righteous.
1. The righteous love God!
2. The wicked are the enemies of God!
B. If the righteous love God, then they will love God’s church!
1. They will be thankful.
2. They will be flourishing.
3. They will be faithful.
C. It is interesting that the Holy Spirit used the word “planted” when referring to the faithfulness of God’s people to the house of God. That word is normally used when speaking of trees, flowers, etc. being permanently placed into the ground.
1. I only plant specific plants.
2. I only plant in specific places.
3. I only plant for specific reasons.
D. Several kinds of plants come to mind when looking at them in light of God’s people and the church.
1. Special Occasion Plants – Easter Lilies and Poinsettias! Some people only come to church on special occasions such as Easter and Christmas. We are always glad to see them when they come and, evidently, two or three times a year is plenty for them to get their “religion” for the year.
2. Artificial Plants – These are plants with no life in them that we buy that remain in certain places in the church. They just “adorn” the church but never produce or grow. These are the unsaved that never get right with the Lord. They never get saved and become spiritually alive through the new birth.
3. Potted Plants – These plants do have life but, like the Artificial Plants, are moved around quite a bit and eventually are replaced. These are true believers who can never get settled and continually, for always a “good reason,” move on.
4. Planted Plants – These are the believers that come to get in, not get out. They become as vital, living part of the local church. I have been a member of only three churches in the 37+ years since I was saved. I joined the church I was saved in and remained there until God called me into the ministry. I joined the church where I spent my Bible College years and remained faithfully there until God called me to pastor Temple Baptist. I joined Temple Baptist and have remained here. In March, it will be 27 years. I thank God for our people as most of you have been here for years and can be depended upon in both good and bad times.
E. We need to remain “planted” in 2014!
1. Planted Plants are Faithful Plants – vs. 1-2 Psalms 27:4 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
2. Planted Plants are Happy Plants – vs. 4 Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
3. Planted Plants are Protected Plants – vs. 9 Psalms 27:5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
4. Planted Plants are Fruitful Plants – vs. 14 Psalms 1:3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
5. Planted Plants are Satisfied Plants – vs. 14 Psalms 42:4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
F. Now, the question is, “How do I get planted?”
1. Planted comes through Realization! There are no perfect churches! There are no perfect pastors! You will never agree with everything that you see or hear! You will not get your way! If you do ever find the perfect church and pastor, please do not join it because you will mess it up which leads up to point number 2.
2. Planted comes through Remembering! You are not perfect! You are not always right! God knows best and faithfulness to the local church is not a request! When you join a church, you join it—it does not join you! You are not there to change the church; you are there to enhance it!
3. Planted comes through Resolve! I am joining because I love the Lord and the church is His design and will for me! I am joining the church because it takes the combined effort and talent of the corporate body to get the job done! I am joining the church, not to be seen or to be somebody, but to be a blessing and encouragement to my brothers and sisters in Christ!