Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Praise Of Singing

Temple Baptist Church - 12-22-2013
Psalm 100
 
Introduction:
A. The Bible sets forth in many verses the importance of Singing. Even in heaven, we find the presence of singing along with musical instruments.
B. Singing Is Vital To Worship - Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. (Come before His presence with singing is a command.)
C. Three different attitudes toward singing:
1. Those who make too much of singing.
2. Those who make too little of singing.
3. Those who place the proper emphasis on singing.
d. We desire to be the third in the list!
1. SINGING SHOULD BE DONE BY THE RIGHT PEOPLE – Ephesians 5:18-19 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; (Not by the best people! God did not say to sing if you were talented or go hire someone to come sing for you and to you. He said, “Sing!” Get in the choir.)
2. SINGING SHOULD BE CHRIST CENTERED - Isaiah 5:1 Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:
3. SINGING SHOULD BE CHRIST HONORING - Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
a. Psalms - A celebration of praise
b. Hymns - A song of victory or conquering
c. Spiritual Songs - A lively song
4. SINGING SHOULD BE DOCTRINAL - Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
a. Teaching
b. Admonishing
5. SINGING SHOULD ABSTAIN FROM THE APPEARANCE OF THE WORLD!
1 Thessalonians 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
a. They should appeal to the spirit and not the flesh
b. They should have a message and not just vain repetition
6. SINGING SHOULD BE A PRELUDE TO THE PREACHED WORD
a. Preaching is the preeminent thing
b. Singing prepares the heart for the preached Word
7. SINGING SHOULD BE VIBRANT
a. It should come from a prepared heart. Open wide your mouths and lift up your voices to the Lord of Glory.
b. It should come from a thankful heart
THE SINGERS
1. Choir Singing - Ezra 2:65 Beside their servants and their maids, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and there were among them two hundred singing men and singing women.
Nehemiah 7:67 Beside their manservants and their maidservants, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and they had two hundred forty and five singing men and singing women. (men and women)
2. Choir Directors - 1 Chronicles 6:31-32 And these are they whom David set over the service of song in the house of the LORD, after that the ark had rest. And they ministered before the dwelling place of the tabernacle of the congregation with singing, until Solomon had built the house of the LORD in Jerusalem: and the they waited on their office according to their order. (all men)
3. Congregational Singing - Psalms 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
4. Special Singing - 1 Chronicles 6:32 And they ministered before the dwelling place of the tabernacle of the congregation with singing, until Solomon had built the house of the LORD in Jerusalem: and then they waited on their office according to their order.
5. Loud Singing - Nehemiah 12:42 And Maaseiah, and Shemaiah, and Eleazar, and Uzzi, and Jehohanan, and Malchijah, and Elam, and Ezer. And the singers sang loud, with Jezrahiah their overseer.
THE SONGS
1. Songs of Deliverance - Psalms 126:1-3 When the LORD turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream. Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them. The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.
Exodus 15:1-2 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my father’s God, and I will exalt him.
2. Songs of Encouragement
Singing Comforts The Sad Heart - Isaiah 51:11 Therefore the redeemed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away.
Singing Encourages The Discouraged - Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Job 35:10 But none saith, Where is God my maker, who giveth songs in the night;
Psalms 32:7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
Psalms 42:8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.
3. Songs of Praise - Nehemiah 12:46 For in the days of David and Asaph of old there were chief of the singers, and songs of praise and thanksgiving unto God.
4. Songs of Rejoicing - Psalms 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
5. Songs of Redemption – Psalms 40:13 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
6. Songs of Thanksgiving - Psalms 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.
7. Songs of Faith - Acts 16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
8. Scriptural Singing - Psalms 119:54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
9. Spiritual Singing – Ephesians 5:18-19 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord

No comments: