Sunday, March 9, 2014

Contrasting The Times

Temple Baptist Church - 3-9-2014
2 Timothy 3:10-14
 
Introduction:
A. Over the past couple of months, we have seen the problems associated with these last, perilous times in which we live. Once again, we all know what time it is according to prophecy. The Lord is coming and we that are saved are leaving! As one man once said, “We have quit looking at the signs and are listening for the shout!”
B. We that are older certainly understand the changes that have taken place in our lifetime and our children will never have the blessing of knowing the America that we once knew and grew up in. It is a sad fact that must be dealt with.
C. Now, in light of all that is prophesied, the Holy Spirit commands to “continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them.” I find no better advice to give tonight than what God gave!
D. It takes a realization of what God has blessed and a resolve to continue in them. Simple, right? Yet people that we know and love have done almost everything other than that. I believe that every believer must make a personal choice and then the members of the local church must make a corporate one.
E. I made mine long ago when the Lord called me into the ministry. It was His call into His ministry and both are anchored deep in the Word of God.
1. Timothy’s Spiritual Assurance – vs. 14 - More important than knowing what you believe is knowing that what you believe is right!
a. Timothy knew what he believed because the tense of “hast been” is past. Timothy is a young pastor and a pastor had better know what he believes.
b. Timothy knew his predecessors. “Knowing of whom thou hast learned them” speaks of those who taught the Word of God to him. I have sat under sound, fundamental, bible believing men of God throughout my years of spiritual growth. I learned my doctrine through their teaching and preaching along with personal reading and study of the Word of God.
c. The admonition was not to forget that what Timothy believed was right. I have been in church, gone to school with, and preached with good men who have changed over the years. This tells me that they either had no confidence in who taught them, did not believe the Word of God, or did not value where they came from and what they once believed.
d. I have experienced this in my pastorate: people coming to Temple Baptist Church and sitting on the pews while in disagreement with the pulpit. God is not the Author of confusion and their sitting there was not God’s doing! I would not sit under a pastor that I thought was preaching or teaching false doctrine. I am not talking about “dotting your I’s and crossing your T’s.” I am talking about major doctrinal teaching.
2. Timothy’s Spiritual Assets – vs. 14 – “continue thou in the things which thou hast learned” If they are right; if you learned them from godly men who were right; then continue in them!
a. Continue In The Word. John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
b. Continue In The Old Paths. Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.
c. Sound Biblical Doctrine. 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
d. Continue In The Amazing Grace of God. Romans 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
e. Continue In Love – John 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. (saints, sinners, the local church)
f. Continue In Separation. 1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (worldliness, apostasy, ecumenism)
g. Continue In Missions – Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (home and around the world)

No comments: