Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Some Good Reasons Not To Sin

Temple Baptist Church - 3-19-2014
1 John 2:1
 
Introduction:
A. Over the past few weeks, we have studied the basis of fellowship: walking in light. The “if” of walking in light shows:
1. Human responsibility in the matter of sinfulness.
2. The importance of personal choices.
3. The necessity of watchfulness, repentance, and confession.
B. In our verse for tonight, we find the will of God for His children: sin not!
1. Many in our day have a warped perspective of God. He is absolutely holy and hates sin! There is pleasure in “sin for a season” (Hebrews 11:25) but seasons change!
2. Many in our day have a warped perspective of sinfulness. We have this idea that God will either overlook it or He will do little or nothing about it. Both are wrong! The worldly Christian somehow has come to view God as indulging and tolerant.
C. We need to have a proper perspective of sin and its probability in our lives.
1. In the first chapter, verses 8, 10 show us the sinfulness of the flesh. Paul said it right when he said, “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. (19) For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (20) Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. (21) I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.” (Romans 7:18-21)
2. In verse 9 of that chapter, we find sin’s realization and repentance for forgiveness.
D. Why “sin not?” Because all sin has great consequences!
Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
1. Some more than others. Luke 12:47-48 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. (48) But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
2. Confession and repentance does not give immunity from consequences. Hebrews 10:26-27 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, (27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
3. Sinfulness’ results are not the fault of God or others. James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.
E. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
1. Death to Joy and Happiness. Psalms 51:8, 12 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice … Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
2. Death to God’s Perfect Peace. Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
3. Death to Answered Prayer. Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
4. Death to the Blessings of God. 1 Kings 8:35-36 When heaven is shut up, and there is no rain, because they have sinned against thee; if they pray toward this place, and confess thy name, and turn from their sin, when thou afflictest them: (36) Then hear thou in heaven, and forgive the sin of thy servants, and of thy people Israel, that thou teach them the good way wherein they should walk, and give rain upon thy land, which thou hast given to thy people for an inheritance.
5. Death to Usefulness in Service. 1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
6. Death to Finances. Haggai 1:6 Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
7. Death to Good Health. Psalms 38:3, 7 There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger; neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin ... For my loins are filled with a loathsome disease: and there is no soundness in my flesh.
8. Death to Physical Life. 1 Corinthians 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

No comments: