Temple Baptist Church - 6-28-2014
1 Thessalonians 2:1-4
A. As we look at the gospel which is encompassed in the Word of God, we find a stewardship. Normally, when speaking of stewardship, we think of physical things such as money or materials. One of the greatest trusts given to God’s children is that of the Word of God and its doctrines.
1. God entrusted the Word to Paul - 1 Timothy 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
2. Paul entrusted the Word to Timothy - 1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
3. Timothy was to entrust the Word to others - 2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.
4. The main responsibility is to be faithful to the trust or stewardship of the Word committed - 1 Corinthians 4:1-2 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. (2) Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
B. God could have spoken His Word from heaven for men to hear or He could have sent angels to bear His message but He chose us because we have experienced that which we believed. We have seen its power and persuasion. We have known the change that the gospel makes in our lives.
C. What are we to do with the Gospel?
1. We are to believe and obey the Gospel - Romans 10:16-17 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? (17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (We must believe and obey the gospel in order to be saved.)
2. We are to understand the Gospel - 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. (4) For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. (We must have a full understanding of it as to know its fullness and power.)
3. We are to live the Gospel - Romans 6:3-4 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? (4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (We must exemplify it in our lives that others may see.)
4. We are to share the Gospel - Romans 1:14-16 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. (15) So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. (16) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. (We must speak it with our lips to those who do not attend church.)
5. We are to support the Gospel -Philippians 4:16-18 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. (17) Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. (18) But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. (Through prayer and missions giving to the spread it.)
6. We are to contend for the Gospel - Jude 1:3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. (4) For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. (As one of the Lord's churches we are the pillar and ground of the truth.)