Temple Baptist Church - 5-25-2016
A. As we get toward the end of the Book of Jude, we find the pronouncement of God’s eternal judgment upon these apostate “creepers” who consistently and constantly attack the faith once delivered, our Bible.
1. We have no original autographs, we cannot read the manuscripts, and we have no new revelation from God. We have the King James Bible and that is all of the revelation that we need. Satan has attacked God’s Word from the beginning and his servants continue to do so today.
2. If the King James Bible is not the Word of God, then we have no Word of God. If the King James Bible is just a translation that flawed men brought to us, then we have no Word of God. If the King James Bible is not the final, absolute, perfect Word of God, then we have to depend upon flawed men to tell us what God has said because He will not deliver it again!
B. These who are constantly changing the Word of God are in trouble with God! They may not know it or they may not believe it but God has pronounced special judgments upon those who attack its inerrancy and infallibility.
Revelation 22:18-19 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (19) And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
C. Why are these apostates not bothered by their deeds?
1. It takes a special kind of sinner to call God a liar and that is exactly what they do. God said that His word that brings about our common salvation is incorruptible, living, and eternally abiding. A good word of use for these apostates is reprobate!
2. God places these apostates, found in the Book of Jude, into the same classification as the angels who sinned (vs 6) ,and the sodomites of Lot’s day (vs 7). Why? Because none of them could be saved! The fallen angels could not be saved. God made no effort to save the sodomites in Genesis 19. God gives the judgment upon these apostates before they were born! This not Calvinism as God said that men who choose to become apostate will spend eternity in a special hell.
D. Degrees of hell are taught in the Bible.
1. There are no degrees of heaven (there will be rewards or crowns to be cast at Jesus feet and cities to be judged during the Kingdom Age). Everyone will be in heaven by the grace of God, not by their own personal merit.
2. But hell is different. Men will be judged by both their deeds and the amount of light that they had received. I want to use a verse by giving the biblical interpretation and then making a practical application.
Luke 12:46-48 The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. (47) And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. (48) But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more. (Those who knew the will of God which is revealed in the Word of God will be punished with many stripes but those who knew not will be punished with few stripes.)
E. Notice the words “to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.” These have an eternal reservation! A special place called the blackness of darkness!
1. These men are special because they knew God in the beginning and then rejected Him. I am not saying that everyone who uses another version is lost but I will say that anyone who rejects the authority of the Bible is on dangerous ground with God. If the Bible is the final authority, you do not correct it! This is where our contention comes in. If they correct it or attack it in any way, I no longer walk with them period!
2 Peter 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
Romans 1:18-21 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; (19) Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. (20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: (21) Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. (These men have been made aware of the truth but held it in unrighteousness. Both in nature and in the Bible. They understood and rejected the Bible as God’s absolute authority. They knew God but glorified Him not as God. They are without excuse.)
2. Their punishment is special. As these men have rejected God’s light found in His Word, God will punish them with both eternal flames and eternal darkness.
2 Peter 2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. (To be covered or shrouded.)
Matthew 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (The farthest place from God!)
3. Their punishment is eternal. The “hell of hell” is as the torment is without measure and the duration is without end. It is eternal, dreadful, sure, and suitable! Eternal flames, eternal darkness, eternal weeping—wailing—gnashing of teeth, eternal regrets, and an eternity to ponder it all.