Temple Baptist Church - 6-29-2016
A. We are now “contenders” for “the faith once delivered.” We will continue to walk in the Old Path of Biblical Faith in the Scriptures! We will not forsake the old paths that were paid for with such a horrific price: the lives of godly men and women who died for it.
B. We need to understand that we can only contend where we are. The apostasy of 2 Thessalonians, chapter 2, is in full swing and we can only stand “our ground” here where we live and where we go to church. Things will continue to deteriorate around us. “Change and decay in all around I see” was the observation of a song writer. We are not to be disappointed, discouraged, or defiled by it.
1. We cannot change the apostates because these are lost people who will not receive the Word of God. 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. (11) And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: (12) That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
2. We cannot change the apostates because they cannot comprehend the Word of God. 1 Corinthians 2:13-14 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. (14) But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
3. It is difficult to convince the liberal because they do not recognize the perfect Word of God. They hold the Word of God but do not believe the Word of God. Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; (They will tell you that they are Bible believers but then they will change or contradict the Bible. It is either the pure Word of God or it is not the Word of God at all: it is simple a translation which is the work of man.)
4. Let the liberal stand where he/she wants, we cannot change them. Our contending for the faith is not to convince the apostate but to maintain the Old Paths of the Scripture for us and our posterity. They MUST not change us! Proverbs 24:21 My son, fear thou the LORD and the king: and meddle not with them that are given to change:
C. Now, Jude gives instructions through the Holy Ghost to God’s children, the Beloved. The first word of verse 7 is “But.” We are to contrast the “falling away” by standing fast! How are we to stand?
Ephesians 6:13-18 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (14) Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; (15) And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; (16) Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. (17) And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: (18) Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
1. “But” We are not going to change them apostate! We are to contrast them. We are to offer a stark, black and white difference. a) For our children to see and follow b) For the world to see so that they can make a responsible choice. I say responsible because, if they choose right or wrong, they will be held accountable for their choice.
2. “Building” Building up yourselves on your most holy faith is a continuing work. Colossians 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. (Rooted to the Word of God and drawing from the True Vine which is Christ. Rooted and built means that the fruit produced will be in accord with the milk and meat of God’s Word that we “have been taught.” Verse 17)
Colossians 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.
3. “Praying in the Holy Ghost” No, this is not praying in tongues! Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. (It is confident praying; it is selfless praying; it is affectionate praying; it is effective praying in the will of God.)
Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
Galatians 5:16-18 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. (18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
4. “Keeping” Keeping ourselves in the love of God. Keeping our faith in the Second Coming of Christ. Titus 2:11-13 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, (12) Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; (13) Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; (This does not mean that we can live in such a way as to fall from the love that God has for us. It goes back to our walking in the love of God instead in the love of the world.)
1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.