Temple Baptist Church - 9-25-2016
2 Thessalonians 1:4-12
A. We have looked at how the Thessalonians churches suffered and, when their faith was tried, they certainly came forth as gold. For a few minutes tonight, I want to look at why they suffered so much.
B. You would think that the world would love Biblical Christianity.
1. Because its people are good people; they are the salt of the earth; they make for the best neighbors in the world; they are good citizens; they are loving, kind, compassionate, and forgiving; they can be fully trusted. Sounds pretty good to me. How about to you? I believe that I could live around these people.
2. In relationship to this message, I think of the Amish and Mennonite people that I have been around. They bother no one, will do you no harm, and will do what they can to help you. If you pay them to build you a barn or a house, you can expect the quality of their materials and workmanship to b excellent. If you buy their breads or any of their goods that they either raise or make, you find excellent quality at a fair price. I May not agree with all of their theology but I have no problem living around them.
3. The world hates Biblical Christianity. I emphasize Biblical Christianity, not the pseudo-Christianity that is so pronounced in our day. The world finds no place for the people who truly follow the Bible because it exposes them for what and who they are spiritually.
C. “A manifest token of the righteousness judgment of God” can be applied two ways in these verses.
1. Verses 4-5 - A token of the judgment of the world upon the righteousness of God. If God is righteous and He is, then the world is unrighteous and it is. Therefore:
a. The world has judged Christ Jesus as unworthy of praise and unfit to live. John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. (The world has concocted another Jesus of instead of accepting the Biblical Jesus. The world hated Jesus Christ and condemned Him to death. The “another Jesus” of our times is neither holy nor condemning of sinfulness. The “another Jesus” is politically correct. Our Lord was certainly holy, condemned sinfulness, and was not politically correct.)
John 15:23-25 He that hateth me hateth my Father also. (24) If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father. (25) But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
b. The world has judged us as followers of Christ Jesus and unfit to live. John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (13) Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (In many countries, they try to exterminate Christians. In our country, they malign and defame us because we still see the sin of the world through Biblical eyes. We are neither condemning nor are we unloving but sin is sin and the wages of sin has and never will change. Therefore, we have become the enemy.)
Galatians 4:16 Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
John 15:18-19 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. (19) If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
2. Verses 6-9 - A token of the righteous judgment of God upon the world.
a. God’s righteousness will judge the world for its judgment of Christ Jesus. Revelation 14:10-11 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: (11) And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. (Those who have trodden underfoot the precious blood of Christ will live to regret it for all of eternity.)
b. God’s righteousness will judge the world for its judgment of those who follow Christ Jesus. Revelation 6:9-11 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held: (10) And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? (11) And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.