Sunday, June 11, 2017

Peace Be Unto You

Temple Baptist Church - 6-11-2017
John 20:19-29


Introduction:

A.  This past week, I went to the South Carolina Baptist Fellowship at Lighthouse Baptist Church in Ora.  I greatly enjoyed the messages preached and will “Johnstonize” some of them.  This morning, I want to preach along the same lines that Dr. Melvin Aiken preached along.

B.  We find the familiar story of one of the post resurrection appearances of our Lord to His disciples.  Gotta love this!  The Lord showed up for the evening service!  Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week.”  That will preach.

C.  Thomas decided, for whatever reason, to miss the evening service and missed seeing his Lord.  The disciples were heartbroken over the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus and His visit was no doubt a great encouragement.

D.  The Lord repeated this same phrase 3 times in our text.  This is important and needs to be looked at closely.  Each time, He extended His peace to them.  Peace is an important part of the well-being of the child of God.

E.  Twice in a brief period just prior to His crucifixion, our Lord spoke of peace to the disciples.  By way of introduction, I want to look at these two coupled with two more.

1.  The Promise of Peace - John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  (The promise of peace is given to each child of God as our Lord will never leave nor forsake us.)

2.  The Responsibility of Peace - John 14:1-4  Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.  (2)  In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  (3)  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.  (4)  And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.  (Peace is available and, therefore, up to us to maintain.)

3.  The Foundation of Peace - Isaiah 26:3-4  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:because he trusteth in thee.  (4)  Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:  (The foundation of peace is a settled trust in the Lord.  Proverbs 3:5-6.)

4.  The Ruling of Peace - Colossians 3:15  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.  (To rule means to have complete control.)

F.  Let us look at these three times our Lord spoke peace to the disciples. To show the availability of God’s Perfect Peace in every area of our lives.  God promises peace, God dispenses peace, but we choose peace.

1.  He spoke peace to them in their Fears.  Verse 19.  “When the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews.”

a.  This was a fearful time for the disciples and the early church.  Their “Rock,” the Lord Jesus Christ was taken away from them and crucified. 

b.  They feared that the Jews would come for them next.

c.  As God’s children, we have times when we are afraid.  In times of sickness, financial dilemmas, family problems, and as we look at the world in which we live and our children—grandchildren must remain live in.

d.  There are times when we are fearful.  God wants us to have His Peace in times of troubles.

2.  He spoke peace to them in their Frustrations.  Verse  21.  “Amy Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
a.  They still did not completely understand all that had transpired.  As with most of the Jews, their thought was that the Lord would always remain with them physically.

b.  The Lord had given to them the Great Commission but now they had to do it, as far as they knew, by themselves.  Everything was “turned upside down.”

c.  There are times in the Christian’s life when things go wrong.  Times when evil seemingly prevails.  Times when we are not sure of either the path before us or even the next step.

d.  There are times when we become frustrated.  The Lord wants us to have His Peace in those times when we do not understand.  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

3.  He spoke peace to them in their Faithlessness.  Verse 26.  “And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them.”

a.  Thomas had been hurt spiritually.  The Bible is not clear as to why he waited 8 more days before coming but I am relatively sure that he was discouraged over the events that had taken place. 

b.  When the other disciples told what had happened the last Lord’s Day, he said that he would not believe.

John 20:25  The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

c.  There are times when our faith begins to waver.  “When ahead I see a chasm wide,” the song writer said.  We cry, “Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.”

No comments: