Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Chief Shepherd

Temple Baptist Church - 9-13-2017
1 Peter 5:1-4


Introduction: 

A.  When writing to the dispersed Jewish believers, Peter used terms that they were familiar.  The Israelites had been shepherds from the beginning and were well acquainted with shepherds and sheep.

B.  Through the Bible, Jehovah God—the Lord Jesus Christ, is presented as a Shepherd.

1.  He is our Personal Shepherd.  Psalms 23:1  The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

1 Peter 2:25  For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

2.  He is the Good Shepherd.  John 10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

3.  He is the Great Shepherd.  Hebrews 13:20  Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

4.  He is the Chief Shepherd.  1 Peter 5:4  And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

C.  As the Chief Shepherd:

1.  He is the Owner of the Church - Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

2.  He is the Authority of the Church - Ephesians 5:23-24  For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.  Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

3.  He is the Beauty of the Church - Psalms 27:4  One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

D.  As our Shepherd:

1.  Our Shepherd provides pasture for His sheep.

Ezekiel 34:13-14  And I will bring them out from the people, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land, and feed them upon the mountains of Israel by the rivers, and in all the inhabited places of the country.  I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel.

Isaiah 49:9-10  That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.  They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them.

Revelation 7:17  For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

2.  Our Shepherd provides a fold or His sheep.

a.  It is a place of Permanence - Psalms 23:6  Surely goodness and mercy shall fo  llow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

b.  It is a place of Desire - Psalms 27:4  One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

c.  It is a place of Nourishment - Psalms 92:13  Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God.

d.  It is a place of Joy - Psalms 122:1  I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.

e.  It is a place of Blessing - Psalms 134:1  Behold, bless ye the LORD, all ye servants of the LORD, which by night stand in the house of the LORD.

3.  Our Shepherd provides Protection for His sheep.

a.  Protection against the Enemy.  Psalms 27:1  The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

b.  Protection when Troubles come.  Psalms 18:2  The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

Proverbs 18:10  The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

c.  Protection from Eternal loss.  Hebrews 2:9  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

John 10:11  I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

4.  Our Shepherd provides Restoration for His sheep.

a.  He searches for them - Luke 15:4  What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

b.  He carries them home - Luke 15:5  And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

c.  He restores them - Luke 15:6  And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

d.  He loses none of them – 99+1 = 100 - John 18:9  That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.

John 17:12  While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

No comments: