Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The Flock of God

Temple Baptist Church - 9-6-2017
1 Peter 5:1-4


Introduction:

A.  Last week, we took a short look at the responsibility of the Elder or Pastor of the local church.  The pastor is not a dictator but an overseer.  The Shepherd is also one of the sheep because he is one.

1.  He feeds the flock.

2.  He protects the flock.

3.  He sets an example for the flock.

B.  Tonight, I want to look at the local church which is called the “flock of God” and “the Lord’s heritage” in this passage.

1.  The “flock of God” speaks of their earthly existence.

2.  The “Lord’s heritage” speaks of their future glorification.

John 10:27-31  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.  I and my Father are one.

1.  Sheep Are To Be Gathered Together.

a.  The Church Is A Place Of Commandment - Hebrews 10:25a Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is;

b.  The Church Is A Place Of Exhortation – Hebrews 10:25b But exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

c.   The Church Is A Place Of Presence - Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

d.  The Church Is A Place Of Peace - John 20:19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

e.  The Church Is A Place Of Joy - John 20:20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.


2.  Sheep Are To Be Submissive To The Under Shepherd.

a.  Follow Him - Hebrews 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

                        1 Corinthians 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

2 Thessalonians 3:7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

b.  Obey Him - Hebrews 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

c.  Pray For Him - Hebrews 13:18 Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

d.  Respect Him - Hebrews 13:24 Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you.

1 Thessalonians 5:13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

e.  Know Him - 1 Thessalonians 5:12 And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;

f.  Honor Him - 1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

3.  Sheep Are To Feed Upon The Pastures That Are Provided.

a.  The Danger Of Hearing - Proverbs 5:12-14 And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof;  And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!  I was almost in all evil in the midst of the congregation and assembly.

1) The Danger Of Letting God’s Word Slip - Hebrews 2:1Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip.

2) The Danger Of Not Growing Spiritually - Hebrews 5:11-12 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.   For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

3)  The Danger Of Self Deception - James 1:22-25  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.  But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

4)  The Danger Of Destruction - 1 Timothy 4:16  Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

b.  The Duty Of Hearing - Philippians 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

1) Hold It Fast - 2 Timothy 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

2) Hold It Forth - 2 Timothy 2:2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Philippians 2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

c.  The Devotion Of Hearing - 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

4.  Sheep Are To Bear Wool.  (Wool in the bible is a type of purity.)

a.  The Holiness Of Salvation - Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

b.  The Holiness Of Sanctification - Psalms 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

1 Peter 1:15-16 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;  Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

5.  Sheep Are To Beget Sheep.

John 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Romans 10:13-15 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.  How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

No comments: